2014 is finally upon us, and you know what that means: time for New Year’s resolutions. However great your 2013 was, there is always room for improvement, and here are 14 goals that most Hoyas could use for the new year.
1. Go to Yates more It’s always easy to make an excuse to skip Yates, but this year we should try and limit those excuses (at least for a few weeks).
2. Go out to eat less While it’s great to get off campus and get dinner away from Leo’s, I know I definitely need to try and spend less at Wisey’s and Epi.
3. Get a 4.0 for the semester (or something close) It can’t hurt to dream, and since we are in school, an academic goal should probably make our list.
4. Watch less Netflix We all love our Netflix, but maybe this will finally be the year that we pass up on that extra episode of House of Cards to go to Yates or read for class … or just go to bed.
5. Support our fellow Hoyas Whether it is heading to Verizon Center to watch some basketball, walking to McDonough to see our other great sports’ teams or visiting the Davis Center to watch a theater performance, we should all try and support our classmates in the new year.
6. Break the bubble We Hoyas often get stuck in the “Georgetown bubble,” so in 2014 we should all try to get out and explore D.C. a little bit. I suggest H Street and Adams Morgan.
7. Meet new people You can never have too many friends, so this year, try and reach out to new people, and expand your horizons. Remember, all great relationships start with an introduction.
8. Eat fewer desserts at Leo’s It is so easy to just grab a cookie or ice cream on the way out of Leo’s. Maybe in 2014, we can switch to every other day for dessert.
9. Call home more This might not apply to everyone, but I know that I can certainly check in with my parents more often. Sometimes, texting just isn’t enough.
10. Text less Let’s make 2014 a little more about face-to-face conversations and a little less about thumb-to-screen interactions.
11. Play with Baby Jack No words needed, just mascot puppy adorableness.
12. Go to new heights Climb to a rooftop and take in the view, or possibly explore Georgetown’s infamous tunnels. (Note: 4E does not condone anything considered illegal or against the university Code of Student Conduct. But if you don’t get caught, it’s not either of those, right?)
13. Dance Whether it’s at Diplomatic Ball, Corp Gala, a club semi-formal or just your dorm room, go ahead and bust a move. We dare you.
14. Play hooky And while you’re at it, see numbers 1-13.
BONUS: Join 4E! Shameless self-promotion here, but everyone should give serious thought to applying to join 4E. It’s the best resolution of all.
Happy 2014, Hoyas! Good luck with all your resolutions!