The selfie: a present day representation of our generation’s narcissistic attitude.
Don’t get me wrong, I am a huge selfier. Ask any of my snapchat friends, they’ll back me up.
One of the biggest reasons for a selfie is the background you get to capture. *Cue every girl who took a selfie with the Eiffel Tower abroad.* The selfie is the perfect way to take a picture of yourself in front of something without having to ask someone to help you out.
The downside of selfies? Selfies are prone to selfie-overlookers, the people who see a selfie happening and, more often than not, judge the selfier.
Georgetown has one of the prettiest campuses in the world, so naturally there are a plethora of selfie opportunities. Since all Georgetown students are crazy busy, these selfies are usually ruined by selfie-overlookers. I know that a good amount of my Healy selfies have been foregone because someone gave me a look that instilled major fear.
So how do we fix this major issue?
Introducing, the secret selfie. A selfie so secret, you will never feel judgement again.
This is an art, to say the least. The secret selfier needs to be cunning, observant and ready at any moment. You never know when the right moment selfie moment will strike.
To demonstrate, I went undercover to take the best secret selfies at Georgetown. Because if I can do it, there is no reason you can’t!
*Note: Selfies are taken at my favorite places on campus, which are not the norm.*
1. Lau 2: The key here is to take advantage of the midterms stress and commiserate with everyone. Honestly, how epic is this selfie? 7 people were in it and not a single person was judging me. #score
2. Regents 4: Selfies in Regents are particularly difficult because of the bright lighting and large quantity of science-loving people. You can’t see it, because I was selfie-ing so quickly, but there are like 7 people in the background who didn’t see me.
3. The Construction Zone: Living in Henle, my life is characterized by the construction that surrounds me. The fake leaves that cover the fence are basically my best friends. Also, this picture was taken during the busy rush times between classes. Legendary.
4. Darnall: Darnall was my first home at Georgetown and I am basically starstruck every time I pass it. I couldn’t see anyone in the windows, but I only hope that no one was looking/judging me from there!
5. 36th Street: One of the best places on campus, Tombs. Even though I am not part of the 21+ club, that doesn’t mean that I can’t selfie part of the 99-days club. Also, how perfect is this picture? Not a single person or bouncer in sight! (Note: time and date of this picture is irrevelant.)
Basically, selfies are awesome and you just need to go to random places on campus to take them without feeling selfie-shamed. Snap on, my friends.
Photos/Gifs: youthconnectmag.com; wired.com; buildforsearch.com; Courtney Klein/The Hoya