Ladies and Gents, gents and ladies, fellow Hoyas and fellow Hoya followers: Love is in the air.
With just a mere 8 or so weeks left of the semester, you may or may not be realizing that the time you spend gazing at your star crossed lover in Econ is soon coming to an end. Face it: it’s time to make your move.
He/She has stolen your heart through long weeks, problem sets and midterms already… don’t lose your opportunity to seal the inevitable deal. We here at 4E understand if you’re reluctant to swoop in; how can you be sure if he/she is into you?! Well, we have the answers!
1. Eye Contact. Perhaps you were staring longingly at the glorious curves of their face, in the middle of a daydream about your future family, or simply scanning the room when your eyes met theirs; whatever the occasion was, catching he/she in the act is a sure sign of their undying love for you!
Next Steps: When this happens (which of course it will) don’t miss your opportunity to clarify your acknowledgement with a nice
subtle wink! Make sure to make it extra obvious so that he/she knows it is meant for them!
2. Have you had another class together before? Boys and girls, here is a major sign that his or her obsession with you is equivalent to your own with them! Why else would they be taking macro this semester other than the fact that they took micro with you the semester before?!
Next step: Write them a handwritten note (it must be in cursive) to let them know that you know that they are stalking you. Make sure to let them know that you’re OK with it though and use this opportunity to share your mutual love for them.
3. The “Sup Nod” Test. Perhaps, you and him/her have mutual friends, have talked at a party once or reviewed an iClicker question together and your relationship has reached the occasional “sup nod” phase. This means that in passing you are both comfortable and eager to acknowledge each other. To some this may seem like only a friendly gesture shared between acquaintances, but don’t be fooled. That simple tilt of the head is more similar to a mating call than to an innocent form of acknowledgement.
Next Step: Be bold and swoop in. As soon as this action takes place, get as close as you can to him or her, stare into their eyes and align your steps with theirs. The rest will follow.
4. Did you bump into each other? It could have been anything from a gentle brush of the shoulder to a full on fall-on-your-face fiasco – any physical contact is a sure sign of physical desire…. of course, right?
Next Step: Make it happen again. The first bump may have seemed to be only a coincidence to your soon to be lover, in order to ensure that he/she knows it was in fact fate you need to make sure that it happens again. Plan a methodical collision for your next class. Scope out where he/she is sitting and deliberately time your departure for class. Untie your shoe and give yourself at least 4 feet to fall flat out on this person. Once this happens your love will be certain.
5. Note Sharing. Has this person ever asked or offered to share/compare notes? This is major. If this event has taken place, it is a sure sign that not only do they trust your competency and intelligence, but they’re probably into you. Let’s be honest, asking for help is the clearest indicator that a person is looking for more than answers to their recitation worksheet.
Next Steps: Use this opportunity to share a little more than just the answers/mathematical garbage. For example: (x + y) = you and me on a long walk on a beach in the sunset with our children for the rest of our lives and eternity.
6. Sits in your row. If he/she sits in your row week after week take this as a deliberate sign of their undying love for you. Even if this is a result of your incessant stalking/ premeditated effort to be close by, because they have not moved away they are likely on mutual ground.
Next Steps: Scoot closer. Each day make an effort to sit at least one seat closer to this person. Even if the same people sit in the seats between you all everyday. It’s fine. Once you’ve finally reached the next seat over spend your classes inching closer to him/her. By the time you are in this person’s lap you will most likely be engaged.
7. Avoids you. The last and most sure sign that shows that a person is into you is avoidance. This is an instinct we are all made aware of at a young age. If a person seems to ignore your hellos, sits at the far end of the room from you or simply is caught up in their phone every time you are around, it is very likely that they are just too nervous to contact with you.
Next Steps: Ease this person’s discomfort with persistence. Stand by them as much as possible and their sense of security will grow. Follow them around campus or search for their NetId! If you don’t have access to their phone number, send them e-mails frequently with one or two words. This will add to the mystery while allowing the person to grow comfortable with your interactions.
The clock is ticking my friends. Be bold, be fearless, get the guy/girl.
Photos/Gifs: sparknotes.com; giphy
Latest posts by Jenna Clifford (see all)
- Dating App: Bio Do’s and Don’ts - April 18, 2017
- Who Says You Can’t Wear White After Labor Day? Congress is Doing it. - March 2, 2017
- Things Worth Loving This Valentine’s Day - February 13, 2017